Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Favorite Role: MOM

One would think after being a mother for 27 years now that the mushiness would subside.
Never.
My oldest son called and I could feel my face light up when I heard that magic word..."MOM".
I was meeting my youngest son and I saw him half a block away.
Amidst a throng of weekend shoppers our eyes locked and there it was again..."MOM".
No sweeter words have ever been spoken.
I tend to pore over their baby pictures and recount memories they sooo wish I would let go, but I can't.
I'm a MOM by nature, I guess. It didn't come easy, I was a teenaged mother and I had no idea of what the hell I was doing but my family support was amazing. There was my aunt, grandmother, cousin, brother and a neighborhood full of old-fashioned folks who would have popped Kyle on the butt if he acted up.
My youngest Jordan asked me one day, "why did I have him?"
You really want to hear this, I asked him. He knew it was coming.
I told him I waited 10 years to have him, doctors told me to just keep trying. God knows I was patient and I prayed and put my faith in the Higher Power. And just like that it happened.
Jordan, I decided to give birth to you because I loved your father so very much. And you grew in my body, and I loved you without physically seeing you, but it was my job to love and protect you. I felt that God was giving me a precious gift that would significantly change my life. You and your brother have made me a much better person.

No comments: